The tactile pleasures I had as a young graphic designer using paper, markers, sheets of typesetting, wax and film to create art for print was replaced with computers to make digital representations of my ideas. With technology, I lost the ability to touch and nurture my ideas. Less than two years ago, I entered a pottery studio to learn the media and found my place for making again.
I envision the finished piece, it’s shape, decoration and final glazing before I throw the soft ball of clay onto the wheel with a SMACK to begin the process of aligning the clay platelets into a strong and yet fluid piece of pottery.
There is a small thrill in the moment that comes when a piece is ready to sit in my hands, hard enough to maintain its shape and yet yielding enough to accept the blade of a tool. I use vegetable dye on a painter’s brush to initiate my design and the fluidity of a brush informs the strokes I will take with a sharp carving tool.
Creating art with earthly elements meant to be used and held is more than a pleasure for me,
it’s a lovely obsession.
- 2022 Juried artist in 2022 The Art League Holiday Sale and Exhibition—sold at least 30% of pieces presented.
2023 Participant in The Art League Student Show at Torpedo Factory
- Related Art and Design Experience
- 2013- Present Director of Communications and Public Affairs, Mercy-USA for Aid and Development, Headquarters: Plymouth, MI
Creative director at international humanitarian relief organization including print and digital marketing/advertising, donor communications and social media.
- 1997 – 2013 Freelance Graphic Designer Ansari Media Design, Herndon, VA & Villa Park, IL
Publication and advertising design for non-profit organizations including fundraising materials and advertising design. Marketing and design consultant for consumer goods and services.
- 1996-1997 Art Director Concepts Direct, Longmont, CO
Designed major consumer direct mail catalog for one of America’s largest direct mail retailer of personalized stationery products. Supervised staff production artists, freelance stylists and photographers.
- 1991-1995 Senior Designer Belcaro Group, Inc., Denver, CO
Designed and produced consumer catalog for American direct mail market. Conceptualized campaigns, art-directed photography and styling of catalogs mailed to over 10 million consumers each year.
- 1990-1991 Art Director Attaché International, Boulder, CO
Art director responsible for designing and producing the Saudi Embassy’s quarterly magazine and newsletter and other client works.
- 1984-1990 Senior Graphic Designer Aspen Ribbons, Inc., Lafayette, CO
Responsible for design of corporate collateral, chief designer for business-to-business marketing including packaging and tradeshow display design.