After more than 25 years as a graphic designer I was diagnosed with severe glaucoma in 2008. After five years of struggling against the loss of most of my peripheral vision, I left my field of work and returned to my first love of artistic expression–painting.
My years of work as a graphic designer gives me the foundation to find fulfillment and success as a fine art painter. I explore the natural settings around my home in Northern Virginia and our travels. Plein air painting has become my passion; my outdoor sketches, photo references and memory of the light and shadow come back with me to my studio at the Torpedo Factory Art Center where I have been painting in oil and acrylics. The joy and happiness I get from creating the work is mirrored in the faces of those who collect my work.
Ahmed Ansari was born and raised in Mumbai. While in college, he worked doing textile, jewelry and commercial design including Arabic calligraphy. Mr. Ansari left India and worked for nine years as a graphic designer and art director in advertising agencies in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. In 1990, he immigrated to the U.S. when he was hired by an international advertising agency in Boulder, Colorado.
For more than 30 years, Mr. Ansari’s commercial work focused on digital media and web design. In the last few years he has focused his attention on his life-long love of fine art painting. Mr. Ansari resides in Chantilly, Virginia.
- Torpedo Factory Art Center – TFAC
- Vienna Arts Society – VAS
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society – NOAPS
- Oil Painters of America – OPA
- Laguna Plein Air Painters Association – LPAPA
- Maryland Federation of Art – MFA
- Oil Painters of America (OPA) Online Showcase – Fall 2021
- Torpedo Factory, (TAG Gallery), Alexandria, VA
- 5th Annual Juried International Exhibition of Contemporary Islamic Art, Irving, TX
- Loudoun County Government Center, Leesburg, VA
- Vienna Arts Society (VAS)
- The ADAMS Center, Sterling, VA
- Workhouse Arts Foundation, Lorton, VA
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA