“My artwork is an exploration of the expressive potential of different mediums and styles. I work primarily with acrylic and oil paint to create abstract compositions that convey emotions and sensations that are difficult to put into words. I also enjoy painting plein air landscapes, using the beauty of the natural world as inspiration for my work. Additionally, I incorporate calligraphy into my art, allowing the fluidity of the script to inform the composition.
My abstract work is influenced by the natural world, and I often use organic shapes and patterns to create compositions that are both striking and evocative. My use of color is bold and intentional, aiming to evoke a visceral reaction in the viewer. Through the interplay of different forms and textures, I aim to create a sense of movement and rhythm within each painting.
In my plein air landscapes, I strive to capture the essence of the scene, using loose brushwork and gestural marks to convey a sense of immediacy and spontaneity. I believe that painting outdoors allows me to connect with nature in a unique way, and my work reflects the energy and vitality of being immersed in the environment.
Finally, my use of calligraphy in my art is a reflection of my love of language and the written word. I enjoy the way that the flowing script can interact with the painted forms, creating a dialogue between different elements of the composition.
Overall, my artwork is a reflection of my curiosity and experimentation with different mediums and styles. Through my work, I hope to inspire viewers to see the world in new and exciting ways.”
Ahmed Ansari was born and raised in Mumbai. While in college, he worked doing textile, jewelry and commercial design including Arabic calligraphy. Mr. Ansari left India and worked for nine years as a graphic designer and art director in advertising agencies in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. In 1990, he immigrated to the U.S. when he was hired by an international advertising agency in Boulder, Colorado.
For more than 30 years, Mr. Ansari’s commercial work focused on graphic design, digital media and web design. In the last few years he has focused his attention on his life-long love of fine art painting. Mr. Ansari resides in Chantilly, Virginia.
Artist Process Statement
As an artist, my creative process begins with an idea. Once I have a clear concept in mind, I create a few thumbnail sketches with a pencil. From these sketches, I select one that I believe will best capture the essence of my vision.
Next, I transfer the sketch onto a canvas or panel, depending on what best suits the subject. I choose between oil and acrylic paint depending on the painting subject. I work in layers, waiting for each layer to dry before adding another, until I achieve the desired result. Once I’m satisfied with the painting, I sign it, and the piece is complete.
After completing a painting, I wait a few days for it to dry before applying two thin layers of varnish. Before applying varnish, I take photos of the painting to ensure that the final product is accurately represented.
Lastly, I price the painting, create a print label, and upload the image to my website and social media platforms. I always appreciate feedback from my audience, whether positive or negative, as it helps me improve my work.
Overall, my artistic process is a deliberate and thoughtful approach to creating a piece of art that represents my vision and creativity.
- Torpedo Factory Art Center – TFAC
- Vienna Arts Society – VAS
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society – NOAPS
- Oil Painters of America – OPA
- Laguna Plein Air Painters Association – LPAPA
- American Impressionist Society (AIS)
- Maryland Federation of Art – MFA
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2023
- FCPS Scholastic Art Competition Judging – 2023
- Paint Annapolis Plein air Painting – 2022
- Laguna Plein Air Painters Association – LPAPA, online fundraising card auction
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2022
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2021
- Oil Painters of America (OPA) Online Showcase – Fall 2021
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2020
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2019
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance, Chincoteague Island, VA – 2018
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 331 – 2023
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 331 – 2022
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 331 – 2021
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 331 – 2020
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 331 – 2019
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 308 – 2019
- Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA Studio 308 – 2018
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA – 2017
- Torpedo Factory, (TAG Gallery), Alexandria, VA – 2017
- 5th Annual Juried International Exhibition of Contemporary Islamic Art, Irving, TX – 2016
- Loudoun County Government Center, Leesburg, VA – 2016
- Vienna Arts Society (VAS) – 2015
- The ADAMS Center, Sterling, VA – 2015
- Workhouse Arts Foundation, Lorton, VA – 2015